The early mornings are taking their toll, but I was forced to get up early with a recurring ear ache….
However, I do get a lot more work done and today I finished quilting the "Boots" Quilt
It's been floating around in my work bag half finished for ages…
My machine broke when I was quilting the borders, then I went away, and away and away….so finally I took the plunge and spent 3 days finishing the border…
I've actually used a smoke monofilament thread on the border of the quilt and 50 weight Masterpiece by Superior in the bobbin…. it works a treat.
I contour quilted the border fabric by freemotion quilting around the printed pattern.
You can't see the quilting on the border, but it gives a wonderful textural effect which supports the texture of the boots themselves.
I've used a free motion zig zag on parts of the boots to give an illustrative effect.
One of the tricks in this quilt is to balance the heavy quilting in the border with the rather quilt devoid areas of the bricks…. without the quilt buckling….
This is how the quilt began. The fabric for the boots is a cloth backed suede fabric I purchased in JoAnnes in the States, I also use the fabric for the saddles and bridles of the horses in the Bayeux.
This is the original photo taken on a visit to somebody's house…. the boots are traditional Aussie elastic sided boots.