First I had to decide on how I wanted the background of the Rhino to look.
It's an incredibly detailed quilt, so the quilting needs to compliment it…
I don't want to do horizontal lines.
I'm not going to do feathers.. I wonder if the person who designed that pattern so many years ago would think
that millions of quilters would follow her idea.?
No swirling…. it has to be my pattern.
It has to be my 15th century pattern. Does that make sense…. probably not.
It needs to be a similar shape to the rhino, it has to be delicate, it has to be subtle.
So I did a few sketches over breaky.
The brain isn't working well, I didn't sleep much last night.
I decided on a 3" repeat….. 4 repeats, to make a 6" block that could be reversed and it needs to intertwine.
I made a 3" design on velum, photocopied it and put it together… It looked OK, so I copied it into EQ6
and re-drew it roughly.That gave me an idea of how it was going to look…
I played around with it for an hou or so, twisting and turning the blocks until I was happy.
4 three inch blocks, make a 6" block and 4 six inch blocks make the pattern.
DONE. Then I slept for half an hour.
I've tried transferring it to fabric 3 different ways…
1. with washout pen…. it was too thick and although it will stay there when I'm handling the quilt under the
machine it looked terrible.
2. white pen. Nup, can't see it and I think it will wear off with handling.
3. lead pencil, pencil was too hard.
4. Inktense outliner pencil, it's softer and will rub out….
That's it…I joined a lot of the patterns together to get the correct size for the quilts…