What a day.

I woke to ominous skies.

Dark clouds, rain and a temperature of about 80 degrees.

We watched the forecast and it said….."Severe thunderstorms and tornado watch"

We had 72 miles to travel to our Event today, and it was going to take us at least 1 and a half hours to get there… but with the weather so unpredictable, we had no idea what was ahead of us…

Within 5 minutes we were driving in a torrent of rain, the drops smashed against the windshield. You could barely see the road ahead and it was like night.


I kept a look out in case any funnels appeared. Lori concentrated on staying on the road…. Suddenly we heard a loud flapping noise. Lori was having difficulty keeping the car on the road. So we stopped, got out and checked the tyres, but they seemed to be OK.

The road was deserted, no houses for miles and we were in the middle of a tornado storm. Lets try the phone…. No signal…

"Lets try to drive and see what the problem is I said"

So slowly we took off…. the noise came back a little and we realized with relief that it was the wind whipping the water up into the Tyre housing.


Almost two hours later the storm abated and we reached our destination. The Brenny Funeral Home…

First time to have an event in a funeral home, but it was great… and they give it to the quilters free….you know we quilters are always in for a bargain.

It was a huge room, beautifully set out and well appointed…..!!

I'm thinking of asking for a tour of the premises tomorrow.

3.00, the sirens went off again and yet another tornado… we were ready to go into the middle of the house….

The wind whipped against the doors, the storms fury showing no mercy to anyone who tried to venture forth….

An hour later it was over with no incidents and the ladies could leave.

By 5.00 pm it was bright sunshine and hot once again.


MAH00565 from holland on Vimeo.

2 Comments Add yours

  1. Dolores says:

    I’m glad that you and the others are safe. Mother Nature.

  2. Lynn says:

    Oh my that storm is an ugly one, thank goodness no one was hurt….you photographs caught it beautifully.

Leave a Reply