A few interesting things occurred over the past few days and I was in terror of loosing my data when the computer broke down. So as I mentioned before, I was a little flummoxed.
Tilly stuck the spring of the trampoline up her nose.
Savannah aged two years and a bit jumped into the water with her shoes on….and squealed with delight. She has no fear.
Combined it was an interesting few days…. so I hugged and kissed our new little babies, and worked…
And here are the results.
The project is finished…. it took considerable time to do the quilting. However, I achieved the effect I aimed for. I contour quilted all the leaves and created two freestanding leaves.
I used fabric quite different to the base of the quilt for the the leaves. It was the last piece of that green I had, my favorite McKenna Ryan. I used two real leaves as a pattern and I traced them onto a piece of paper some time ago waiting for this stage.
You can see in this photo that the fabric is graduated. I wanted to take advantage of the graduation for the shading. Considering that the leaf was only 1/2" wide, I decided to press it with the seam in the middle rather than the side. It gives a more realistic effect.
The leaves are placed in the same direction as the stem of the thread illustrated Aggy, continuity of angles.
There is a lot of texture in the quilt. I wanted the quilting to flow in a number of directions creating a interest for the viewer.
I used a medium green thread on the top of the quilt. Superior, Masterpiece, 50 weight and a light tan on the back fr the quilting. The rest of the quilt has been discussed in past blogs.
I used the new Janome Horizon machine and the multiple free motion foot. I was just given the new thread stand which is wonderful… it's an optional extra, but well worth it. It is almost as tall as an industrial machine thread stand. I was making do with a commercial one until this arrived and trust me it is essential for the sort of quilting I do.
I also have a binder to try…but I think I need a bit of help with that.!!!!
The other two projects were the woven watercolor (copyright) quilts.
They are small, constructed on linen and I free motion quilted them holding the cheesecloth down with the quilting. The look better on the wall than they do here because they are quite magnified in these photos.