Bayeux, Blog, Quilting
Comments 27

The Bayeux Discipline – my passion.

2012

“Bayeux Discipline What on earth does Bayeux Discipline mean?

It describes a journey I’m taking. Up to date its been a 7 year journey. I’m recreating the Bayeux Tapestry as a quilt.  It will be the same size as the original Bayeux Tapestry but created in a different way. I made several panels of the quilt a few years ago, but as of the 26th of December 2012 I began all over again. This time I’m not making it in panels but as one piece 80 meters Long. In 59 days, I’ve completed 60 feet of appliqué. Of course it has to be quilted yet so the applique is just part of the event. The drawings were done a few years ago with the first flush of adventure. I’ve taken time from my normal career as a Tutor to concentrate on the project. I get up at 4.00 am and work till 10.30 am on the main part of my day project. However,  I often work 10 – 15 hours a day”

DSC01476.JPG

This is the 9ft sample quilt.

Today – and I’ve been working on this project for 10 years.

My discipline is that I’ve set myself the task to work for 10 hours a day on my Bayeux Project for seven days a week.    Physically it’s demanding. Emotionally it’s exciting and to be really honest this quilt is  completely different to the sample piece. The first quilt that has bee n shown.

Its 236 feet of sheer delight for me.

Like many of you, I’m having a problem seeing the fine details so I have an appointment at the optician tomorrow.

DSC01585.JPG

Hours and hours of research.

DSC01477.JPG

Everything in my studio is designed to make working on the Bayeux easier.

DSC01694.JPG

This is the first quilt.

DSC01680.JPG

I’m sitting at the machine for long periods of time…. however, you will see very little of the appliqué stitches, this quilt is different, I’ve dyed and illustrated every single piece of appliqué and the dying is over the final stitching….

But I can’t show you. I can only show you the first quilt and the drawings and small samples.

IMG (7)

IMG_0011_NEW IMG (12)

27 Comments

1. Cathy says

Pam, you are so wonderfully inspired. I wish you good healthy and in particular excellent eyesight so that you can fulfil the enormous task you have set for yourself.
    I am proud to call you a fellow Australian even though I have lived in South Africa for many years.

Liked by 1 person

2. Pam, it is going to be stunning. History, art, stitching all rolled into one. Love it!!! Thank you for sharing your journey on this masterpiece.

3. Linda Teufel says

If you don’t show the quilt then you could enter it in Quilt National! Then enter into the other contests.

4. Noel Broomhall says

What an amazing task , & a huge work schedule – hope there are some necessary breaks & time out (for good behaviour!), and I think I have an idea of a huge amount of planning & related works have been done !!!! BenHur was never this big!!!
    With greatest admiration, appreciation for your generous sharing & lots of love,
    Noel

5. Sharon Lee says

Incredible! I hope to see it one day! I signed up for your portrait class at Asilomar next spring. I hope I get it!

6. Becky Peebles says

You will never be able to know the inspiration you are to us who have a passion to be creative and who are in our 60’s and now is our time. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

7. Wendy in Kennewick says

Thank you for your love of sharing and teaching! I have been hooked on your project since hearing you talk about it when you visited several years ago. I cannot wait to see your finished masterpiece!

8. Candace Berry says

Thanks for sharing….we are all waiting to see the finished Bayeux tapestry.

9. Pam, my college degree was in History, specifically British and Western European. I LOVE what you’re doing; I wish I could sit in the corner of your studio and just watch you create. I’d be very quiet, I promise.
    You are making the wheels in my brain start to spin. I may have to do some research!

10. Charla says

I have changed my flight, my room reservations and all my plans for Houston just so I can attend your Bayeux lecture! Just cannot wait!

• Charla says

Thank You! Will do! I even have a friend coming from Charleston, SC to attend this lecture and other friends will be with me too. Years ago in college I had both Art History classes and History of Textiles classes, that we “in depth” studied the Bayeux Tapestry. In 2014 I was lucky enough to spend the day there, did the tour 2x and then went to the needlework shop that specializes in the embroidery piece kits. I have read and read about this piece. So thrilled that you have done this quilt and will certainly come up for a chat!

11. Karen Coombs says

Is the Bayeux project going to be ready for the Houston International Quilt Show in November? I don”t want to miss it.