Blog, Lesson, Photography, Quilting
Leave a Comment

Finished the quilt. The pro’s and cons.

This was an interesting experiment and let me say when I begin an idea for a new quilting genre I always pick the hardest sample to see if I can achieve a suitable result.

Kaiden 2

This is the image I began with. Ideally is not the best image to work with, simply because of the angle of his arm.  But this is a gift for his Mum and this photo was taken when he was displaying exuberance at being at an event we had been anticipating for some time.

So I have an emotional component in the image. We, the family, all understand his reaction in this photo and it brings a smile to our faces when we see it.

IMG_1404

This is the changed image I used and in retrospect it might have been better on a black background.

The process.

P1110129

I traced the image onto a piece of cream fabric. Shadow Play by Maywood. I chose this fabric because its accepts the ink well and it’s a reasonable tight weave fabric.

The pen I used is a pigment ink pen. I can draw on fabric as if I’m drawing on paper. It has a rounded end and rolls across the fabric. Micron pens catch in the waft and weft because of the square tip.

I used an 80/12 sharp needle and 50 weight black Aurifil cotton. The batting is warm and natural cotton and of course the back is cotton too. I used the amazing Janome convertible free motion foot. It has an open toe and a double spring so that it doesn’t bounce up and down as some free motion feet do. In fact it almost works like a long arm.

I did have a small problem with tension, which is surprising, I rarely do, but then again it happens occasionally when you use black. Its something to do with the consistency of the thread because of the amount of dye in it.

P1110132

I press often, probably every 10 minutes or so. The cotton bends back into shape and I had very little puckering. I was asked if I spray starch the piece as I go. No, I just use a lot of steam.

Someone else said she thought it would be better done in shades of grey. Yes, I agree, but the test was to do it in black and cream. I did add cream to his hair for the highlights.

P1110135

I’ve almost finished the quilt In fact I have but I’m considering putting it in a frame so that is as much quilting as I need to do No binding… but the arm still looks strange, I’m wondering should I crop it.

OK, yes, I will do this again. I will choose the picture wisely. It was a worth while exercise, and part of an ongoing experiment with Textile Art.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s