Blog
Comments 26

The tears flowed – 1776, Heartache, Heritage and Happiness.

Visiting the Houston Quilt Market and Festival is always a delight for me. I began as a very nervous visitor many years ago to now become a regular participant. It’s the culmination of my year of hard work. Its exhausting, its invigorating and it’s just pure delight.

This year is significant  because last night I gave  my 1776, Heartache, Heritage and Happiness Quilt to the International Quilt Study Centre and Museum and the tears flowed. My heart is heavy, but happy, knowing I’ve done the right thing to continue the legacy and life of the quilt. It’s a huge wrench to part with a large section  of my soul, part of my life for so many years and part of my families history. However, it’s going to be shared now rather than live its life in a safe at home. I hope it’s viewed by people who love it as much as I do and I know I will visit often.

I slept under it a few months ago.

I took it out and relived the memories, I love this quilt with all my heart.

P1100280

P1100282

26 Comments

1. Pingback: The tears flowed – 1776, Heartache, Heritage and Happiness. | I am Pam Holland

2. this will continue your legacy honey, and all who see it will see what a master’s work can look like.

it will inspire people.
    it will teach people.
    it has a life all its own and will speak to people.

the warmth that once comforted you and a small group will now comfort hundreds of thousands for years to come……

xx jim

3. Hi Pam, we are all thankful for thec wonderful gift. It will be enjoyed by many, I can’t wait for the quilt to be shown in exhibits. Have fun in HOU and safe travels!! Martha Tsihlas

4. You could not have given it to a more wonderful place. They’ll treasure it and take care of it forever, which is what it deserves. I was there when it won in Houston and it remains the masterpiece of all the quilts I have ever seen. I’m sure a piece of your soul will always stay with the quilt! Thank you for giving it to IQSCM, so that thousands more people can enjoy it and marvel at your work.

5. Judy Sankey says

Pam, this is an extraordinarily Fantastic quilt!!! Thank you for sharing such a large part of yourself with us. xox

6. Sharon Lee says

Good for you–you did the right thing, but I’m sure it was extremely difficult as you have so much wrapped up in it, and it is truly gorgeous! You’ll just have to go visit it!

7. Roni Hall says

This quilt is extraordinary! I have the book your wrote about this quilt, and savored every word and picture. Such a masterpiece! Thank you for sharing your treasure, your life, your heart in this quilt. Praying that all who are able to see it, will see all those things and more. Hugs, Pam.

8. Pingback: The tears flowed – 1776, Heartache, Heritage and Happiness. | I am Pam Holland | Stuff-ups

9. Karen says

How wonderful for us that you continue to share your art and spirit with us! I hope someday to stand before it in awe! Thank you!

10. Pam, it’s only natural to have these conflicting feelings. Your quilt is beautiful and it is part of you. Imagine the joy and delight you will be giving to so many people who will go and see it. You should be very proud.

11. Sheri Andresen says

Oh My. When you shared this Beautiful piece and your story with us in Shipeshewana this past summer I had no idea. To part with it wow! You truly are an inspiration. I will post and tag you on IG of the great photo I have of you with this work of art that is so much a part of you. What a generous gift, a gift of the heart

12. Dear Pam I’m so so thrilled that you gave1776, Heartache, Heritage and Happiness to the International Quilt Study Centre and Museum having travelled the journey with you on this amazing quilt I’m so pleased to know it will never never end up a dogs blanket over the next 100 years but will still be admired and thrill many quilters to come. My Great grandmother came from the same area as a child to NZ in 1866 married when she turned 16 and had 10 children and was a NZ pioneer women!!!!! the house she was born in is still been lived in! Cheers Glenda

13. Fran Williams says

Remember way back when you showed it to us at the Duke of Wellington pub in Launceston!!! So privileged to have been up so close to it, hugz

14. candyshomepatch says

What a wonderful gift/legacy Pam. We will all want to visit the new home 🙂

15. Marg Honan says

Pam I am sitting reading your blog, tears as well and looking at the little blue bird wall hanging made in a workshop in Cummins on Eyre Peninsula in October 2005. I cherish the memories of weekends like we enjoyed, 10 years ago!! You shared your wonderful talents with us. I hope I get to work with you again!

16. Pingback: Scrap Bag: Houston 2015 winners, amazing reproduction quilt, how to protect your iron, and more | Inside Quilters Newsletter

17. Pingback: Scrap Bag: Houston 2015 winners, amazing reproduction quilt, how to protect your iron, and more - Dixie Long Arm Quilting

18. janell taylor says

Your are the most amazing woman I have ever met. I saw the beginning of this quilt in Alamogordo, NM. I was standing next to you looking at samples of your art and you were along side of me when I noticed you WERE the artist. That was a moment I will never forget. I will cherish that very special time. Thank you for making the world a better place.
    Janell

19. I was given your book tonight as a Christmas Gift. I love it! I am a designer myself who took on quite a large project based on an antique quilt and I know what you mean about the heart that goes into such a labor of love. I am busy designing again right now, but know that I can’t wait to start reading your book and someday make this quilt too. Just beautiful! Thank you!

20. Pingback: Threads of Fate: Quilter Discovers Personal Connection While Replicating Famed Ancient Tapestry