Anticipating a busy day of Kings and Castles on the Bayeux, I worked late into the night last night and finished Geraldine.
She is appliquéd on a rather coarse linen and I found this medium a little difficult to work with, but it gives wonderful crisp results.
I decided to lay a couple of strips of fabric down on the quilt top and then it was quilted in the vertical strip quilting straight over the top… this tends to embed the fabric into the quilt top.
I auditioned a number of borders, however, I think the simplicity of a tall vertical, quite sparse quilt looks best.
That 1/2″ strip is wavy by design and I used a triple stitch in turquoise to enhance it. The strip down the side is three DMC 6 ply threads couched with a zig zag onto the quilt. Oh, and I added just a little turquoise under the purple spot fabric. It adds a surprise shadow.
I really enjoyed making this quilt. despite being a mixture of fabrics she has depth and she is now up on my ‘completed’ display shelf…