An experiment in Dyeing.

I really have no idea what I’m doing but I’m experimenting with natural plants and dying white linen and pearl cotton.

I have added 1/2 a teaspoon  of Alum (thanks to  my friend who gave me some) to boiling water and I added the plant matter that I’ve been collecting over the weeks. They will sit in the sun for a week or so, then I can check the results.

I also wet a length of linen and laid dry gum leaves on it. I put another layer of wet paper towel on the top and that’s also drying in the sun.



The linen came from Ikea at $1.00 meter on sale. !!!!  a really good bargain I think.





I used dry lavender flowers.


gum leaves,





Agapanthus flowers.



Daisy or something… just ahold weed actually. But I just needed to know.



They look wonderful sitting in the jars, whether on not I achieve anything… who knows, but I just did it to see.



7 Comments Add yours

  1. The yellow flowers you called daisy are dandelions. They are a medicinal herb and the young greens can be eaten like spinach. Yours colors are beautiful. I can’t wai see what you create with them.


    1. Pam Holland says:

      Barbara, yes, I know they are dandelions… but I’ve annoyed people by calling them ‘Daises’ for as long as I remember. Its just a habit.


      1. Wendy in Kennewick says:

        Love it… you rebel!


      2. I love it!!

        I do things like that too! Sometimes I just can’t help myself!


  2. joshi daniel says:

    colorful 🙂 waiting for the result!


    1. Pam Holland says:

      It was fun Joshi. Now I need to use it.

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.